Johannes Kepler University Linz
Altenberger Straße 69
4040 Linz, Austria
Institute for Innovation Management (IFI)
Managementzentrum, 3rd floor
Room: MZ 302B
Publications: Simon Down
- Giazitzoglu, A. and Down, S, ‘Performing entrepreneurial masculinity: an ethnographic account’, International Small Business Journal, published online before print August 19, 2015, doi: 10.1177/0266242615599244 (CABS 3).
- Down, S. (2015) ‘Narratives of Enterprise revisited: methodological appendices in ethnographic books’, Journal of Organizational Ethnography, 4(1): 28 – 43 (not ABS listed).
- Kautonen, T., S. Down and M. Minniti. Ageing and entrepreneurial preferences. Small Business Economics, in press
- Swail, J., Down, S. and Kautonen, T. (2013) ‘Examining the effect of entre-tainment as a cultural influence on entrepreneurial intentions’, International Small Business Journal, in press.
- Down, S. (2012) ‘Evaluating the impacts of government policy through the long view of life history’, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 24(7-8): 619-639.
- Down, S. (2012) ‘A historiographical account of workplace and organizational ethnography’, Journal of Organizational Ethnography 1(1): 72 – 82
- Badham, R. Claydon, R. and Down, S. (2011) ‘The ambiguity paradox in cultural change’ in D. Boje, B. Burnes and J. Hassard (eds.) The Routledge Companion to Change Management, London: Routledge.
- Kautonen, T., Down, S., Welter, F., Vainio, P., Althoff, K., Kantola, J. and Kolb, S. (2010) ‘Involuntary Self-employment’ as a public policy issue: A cross-country EU comparison’, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 16(2): 112-129.
- Down, S. and Reveley, J. (2009) ‘Between narration and interaction: Situating first-line supervisor identity work’, Human Relations 62(3): 379?401.
- Down, S. and Hughes, M. (2009) ‘When the ‘subject’ and the ‘researcher’ speak together: Co-producing organizational ethnography’, in S. Ybema, D. Yanow, H. Wels, F. Kamsteeg (Eds.), Organizational Ethnography: Studying the Complexity of Everyday Life, London: Sage.
- Reveley. J. and Down, S. (2009) ‘Stigmatization and self-presentation in Australian entrepreneurial identity formation’, in Hjorth, D, and Steyaert, C. (eds.) The Politics and Aesthetics of Entrepreneurship. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Down, S. and Warren, L. (2008) ‘Constructing narratives of enterprise: Clichés and entrepreneurial self-identity’, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 14(1):4-23.
- Kautonen, T., Down, S. and South, L. (2008) ‘Enterprise support for older entrepreneurs: the case of PRIME in the UK’, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research 14(2): 85-101.
- Engel, D., T.K. Bauer, K. Brink, S. Down, J. Hartmann, L. Jacobi, T. Kautonen, L. Trettin, F. Welter und J. Wiklund (2007) ‘Unternehmensdynamik und alternde Bevölkerung (Firm dynamics and population ageing)’, RWI : Schriften, Heft 80, Duncker & Humblot: Berlin.
- Down, S., Garrety, K., and Badham, R. (2006) ‘Fear and loathing in the field: Emotional dissonance and identity work in ethnographic research’ M@n@gement 9(3): 87-107.
- Reveley, J., Down, S. and Taylor, S. (2004) ‘Beyond the boundaries: An ethnographic analysis of spatially diffuse control in a small firm’ , International Small Business Journal 22(4): 349-367.
- Down, S. and Reveley, J. (2004) ‘Generational encounters and the social formation of entrepreneurial identity – “young guns” and “old farts” ‘, Organization 11(2): 233-250.
- Taylor, S., Thorpe, R. and Down, S. (2002) ‘Negotiating managerial legitimacsmaller2organizations:Management education, technical skill and situated competence’, Journal of Management Education 26(5): 550-573.
- Down, S. (2001) ‘The return of popular social science?’ Human Relations 54(12): 1639-1662.
- Sadler-Smith, E., Down, S. and Lean, J. (2000) ‘”Modern” learning methods: rhetoric and reality’, Personnel Review 29(4): 474-490.
- Down, S. (1999) ‘(Yet) another side of HRM?’, Organization 6(3): 543-560.
- Down, S. (2001) ‘The use of history in business and management, and some implications for management learning.’ Management Learning 32(3): 395-417.
- Down, S. (1999) ‘Owner-manager learning in small firms’, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 6(3): 1-14.
- Lean, J., Down, S. and Sadler-Smith, E. (1999) ‘The nature of the client-Personal Business Advisor relationship within Business Link’, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development 6(1): 80-88.
- Lean, J., Down, S. and Sadler-Smith, E. (1999) ‘An examination of the developing role of PBAs within Business Link’, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 17: 609-619.
- Sadler-Smith, E., Down, S. and Field, J. (1999) ‘Adding value to HRD: evaluation, Investors in People and small firm training’, Human Resource Development International 2(4): 369-390.
- Down, S. and Smith, D. (1998) ‘It pays to be nice to people: Investors in People; The search for measurable benefits’, Personnel Review 27(2): 143-155. (Also published in summary form in Personnel Review Select (1999), 2(3): 146-57).
- Down, S. and Bresnen, M. (1997) ‘The impact of Training Enterprise Councils on the provision of small business support: Case studies in London and the Midlands’ , Local Economy 11(4): 317-332.
- Speaker and mentor at ‘Pyongyang startup week’ at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST), Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, together with Newton Fellow Dr Jukka-Pekka Heikkila, May 23rd-27th May 2016.
- Co-leader of Sustainable Sainji volunteer group, September 2016, an ARU International Community Experience project which involved taking a group of students to a remote village school in Himalayan India to enhance English teaching and understanding of nutrition and hygiene (https://twitter.com/hashtag/sainji2016, #sainji2016 or @GSI_ARU)